PDA

View Full Version : Basic Templates Plus BANNER Tryout

AC
08-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Hello ~ Still brand new to SP. I am testing to see if I've inserted my banner properly but also have a question.

I'm a little confused about the basic templates. I have chosen one to play around with and familiarize myself with how things work. So far I've played around with adding a banner/header and changed some font colors BUT is it ok to actually delete something that is from the original template. In this case it would be the black design at top.

Ok ~ I think I've added my banner so if my question isn't clear you will be able to see what I mean by clicking on the banner. If not, I'm "thelinenlavoir.com". Thx~ (I'm soooo happy to have a forum I can turn to...)

AC
08-10-2008, 04:09 PM
:DOk, I see my little banner ~ it has shrunk quite a bit so I'll have to work on that!

AC
08-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Ok ~ I think I have the right size now. :D

MichelleG
08-10-2008, 04:31 PM
I believe if you use the template link on the left, and scroll thru the html you can delete where the black image at the top is inserted. Sometimes if I'm not sure what will happen, I just copy and paste the whole HTML into a word document, make the change and see what happens. If it's not what I expected then I just copy and paste it back to what it was. Hope that helps :)

AC
08-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Ok ~ Let me see if I've got this right:

1) It's ok to change what I want on the basic templates (which you've answered. Thank you Michelle);

2) I'll be saving the coding under various names on my PC (in case I flub up badly and have to start over), and also to save work that I like. When I want to use what I've saved on PC, I copy/paste into the coding box on the index.htm page and click update.

3) Alternative?? Is it possible to save my templates (ones I'm working on) so that they show up on drop down template menu under a name that I make up (like "actemplate" or something)?

4) ALSO, when I "Click Here to View Your Site" and look at the page source, my name (thelinenlavoir.com) is coded in various places on the page. WHEN I look at the page source in the template box, it has "background-image:url(http://babyposhboutique.com/images/bpbg.jpg)}". The "...babyposhboutique.com" part is all over that page. I looked them up and it looks like they are new also or at least working on a new look. Why are they in my coding box? Is this something Karina needs to fix when she's back to the Boards on Monday? Do I need to send her a ticket or will she see this post in the forums? OR, better yet, CAN I just do a search and replace and put "thelinenlavoir" wherever "babyposhboutique" is currently showing???

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to help me... Eventually, I'll get my brain wrapped around all this ~ I promise! I'm trying to be cautious because when I was over at PappaShop I did a couple of things with the codes that I wasn't supposed to and they had to go in and fix what I did. javascript:void(0);
Shocked

AC
08-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Well, in my last post, towards the bottom, where I mention where I use to be at, the name disappeared ~ Not sure why that happened.

ShoppePro
08-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi AC,

Yes, feel free to change any of the basic templates to how you want them.

Typically, if I make changes in the Template page of the store admin, I just copy and paste the good code into a notepad file and save it on my computer so that if I want to go back to that later, I can just copy and paste that HTML back into the custom template box.

In order to save your templates and have them available under the "Templates" dropdown, you would need to add the new template to the /template/ directory and save it as an .htm . A little trick I learned from Robin at BoutiqueMama is to make the changes how to want in the Template page of the store admin. Then download the /template/index.htm file via FTP and rename it something else like mytemplate.htm and re-upload it to the /template/ directory. That way you can revert back to it later as it will appear "mytemplate" under the templates dropdown box.

The babyposhboutique thing has been fixed. There was some file mixups earlier with that. All good now. Sorry for the error.

Any other questions just ask. :)

Karina