PDA

View Full Version : ww4/www4 Mal's Server is currently down.....

ShoppePro
04-05-2010, 11:40 PM
TWITTER PAGE FOR UPDATES: http://twitter.com/shoppepro

We're waiting to hear from Mal's about estimated down time. This will affect your shopping cart and the ability to order/view the cart. We will update you when we have more information from them.

EDIT -- You can check for any updates on Mal's forum site:
http://www.mals-e.com/forum.php

EDIT --
(as of 4/6/2010 12:19 MST, USA)

DOWN:
ww4

UP:
ww5
ww6
ww7
ww8
ww9
ww10
ww11
ww12

=============================
EDIT --- (April 6, 2010 8:32 am MST, US)

If you're totally desperate, you can just create a new Mal's account. Just go to https://www.mals-e.com/join.php and follow these steps:

- Make a note of your new Mal's ID, Mal's Server (probably ww5) and password

- Go to Mal's > Cart Setup > Payment Methods (enter your Paypal address etc.). Here's the specifics you need -- http://www.shoppepro.com/article_7/Paypal--Step-Three--Mals-Paypal-Setup.htm (outdated screenshots were used here)

- Set up your tax and shipping all over again if needed

- Go to Cart Setup > Advanced > Remote Calls and enter yourdomain.com/go/finish.php (replace yourdomain.com with your domain name) and click the POST selection and save.

- Go to your Store Admin area (yourdomain.com/storeadmin) and click on Catalog Setup

- Enter your new Mal's ID and Mal's Server number and save.

Voila, temporary working Mal's cart. Don't forget to put your Mal's ID back to the the previous one when the Mal's ww4 issue is solved. Hope that helps someone.

AmandaB
04-06-2010, 02:35 AM
Oh this is not good! :(

ShoppePro
04-06-2010, 02:51 AM
Amanda, yours appears to be up.

amandajl23
04-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the update. I hope it is fixed quickly. Do you happen to know if there is any reason why some carts are working and others aren't?

Cheers

ShoppePro
04-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the update. I hope it is fixed quickly. Do you happen to know if there is any reason why some carts are working and others aren't?

Cheers

Mal's has many different servers running. Some of the servers are up and some are not. We have confirmed the following:

(as of 4/6/2010 12:19 MST, USA)

DOWN:
ww4

UP:
ww5
ww6
ww7
ww8
ww9
ww10
ww11
ww12

AmandaB
04-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Amanda, yours appears to be up.

Thanks Karina, mine is up, but my good friend Carrie's isn't. She is at www.theletterboutique.com. She has a HUGE volume of sales usually so she is freaking out. :(

ShoppePro
04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
A temporary solution would be to open a new Mal's account. But you would have to completely re-setup all the shipping/payment/tax information again. If you did this you would need to plug in the new Mal's ID and Mal's Server number in the Catalog Setup page. It might be more practical to just wait it out and possibly put a note on your site to email orders to you. Then just send them a paypal invoice until mal can get his stuff sorted out.

ShoppePro
04-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Posted these in the other thread as well:

If you're totally desperate, you can just create a new Mal's account. Just go to https://www.mals-e.com/join.php and follow these steps:

- Make a note of your new Mal's ID, Mal's Server (probably ww5) and password

- Go to Mal's > Cart Setup > Payment Methods (enter your Paypal address etc.). Here's the specifics you need -- http://www.shoppepro.com/article_7/Paypal--Step-Three--Mals-Paypal-Setup.htm (outdated screenshots were used here)

- Set up your tax and shipping all over again if needed

- Also configure any "Email Settings" you may prefer

- Go to Cart Setup > Advanced > Remote Calls and enter yourdomain.com/go/finish.php (replace yourdomain.com with your domain name) and click the POST selection and save.

- Go to your Store Admin area (yourdomain.com/storeadmin) and click on Catalog Setup

- Enter your new Mal's ID and Mal's Server number and save.

Voila, temporary working Mal's cart. Don't forget to put your Mal's ID back to the the previous one when the Mal's ww4 issue is solved. Hope that helps someone.

spunkerella
04-06-2010, 03:17 PM
:( I am off to bed ( Aus time 1am) gosh I hope it is sorted when I wake up.
getting a bit worried now.....

MichelleG
04-06-2010, 04:02 PM
In addition to Karina's instructions, you may also need to edit your customer receipt emails if you had customized them in any way.

craftygirlsworkshop
04-06-2010, 04:48 PM
I have to say I'm pretty upset about this. This is the second time this has happened and I know we've lost some sales because of this. We are a small company and can't really AFFORD to have this happening. We thought when we switch the ww4 to www4 it would fix the problem but now that one is down as well! Am I supposed to sit around 24 hours a day and check to make sure the cart is working? Also I apparently can't just switch to one of those other servers that IS working, I tried, and it says it can't recognize my ID. Any suggestions? Sorry to vent but time is money and we're losing money while the cart is down.

Anna
Crafty Girls Workshop

ShoppePro
04-06-2010, 05:22 PM
I have to say I'm pretty upset about this. This is the second time this has happened and I know we've lost some sales because of this. We are a small company and can't really AFFORD to have this happening. We thought when we switch the ww4 to www4 it would fix the problem but now that one is down as well! Am I supposed to sit around 24 hours a day and check to make sure the cart is working? Also I apparently can't just switch to one of those other servers that IS working, I tried, and it says it can't recognize my ID. Any suggestions? Sorry to vent but time is money and we're losing money while the cart is down.

Anna
Crafty Girls Workshop

Anna, did you see the temporary solution? This should work fine for you:
http://www.shoppepro.com/forums/index.php/topic,2662.msg12478.html#msg12478

If you want help setting up a new Mal's account, we're here for you.

marlenesurbanbliss
04-06-2010, 05:30 PM

Anna
Crafty Girls Workshop

Anna, did you see the temporary solution? This should work fine for you:
http://www.shoppepro.com/forums/index.php/topic,2662.msg12478.html#msg12478

If you want help setting up a new Mal's account, we're here for you.

Hi Anna,
I tried the option to create a new cart at Mals (as suggested by Karina) and am now on ww5 server. Its working properly now and I'm hoping for the best until ww4 can get resolved. It took a little work to make sure everything was setup as originally done but I'm happy to have a working shopping cart on my site. Hope this helps. :o)

Marlene

ShoppePro
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
While I understand everyone is frustrated, and understandably so.... before you guys get angry at Mal, I hope you understand something. This is at no fault of Mal's either. I would feel a little bit sympathetic for him instead of being angry. His server is under a DDOS attack. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack . Which is at no fault of his.

Plus, remember something else. He offers a FREE service with the shopping cart, and in the many years I have been working with Mal's, nothing like this has EVER happened.

There are some evil people out there who have nothing better to do than to ruin other people's lives. It is a really sad, sad reality of the internet world. Unfortunately, us honest, hard working business owners are suffering because of it. The reality is there just isn't anything we can do at this point. Mal is doing the best he can to end the attack.

chuckebyrdwallart
04-06-2010, 07:03 PM
I completely agree the attack is not his fault and I in no way want anyone to think I meant that he is to blame for it.

What I am not happy about is the lack of communication on his forum to let his customers know what he is doing. Just a simple "I know about it all and am working hard, when I have something to report I will".

You have been on top of it from the start, Thank you for that. I only wish he had. This event will sadly be remembered most for his lack of commutating how hard I am sure he is working, to those who's sites depend on his software.

When things are left to speculation, people will speculate.

I have a paid cart (even though I don't use most of it) in part because it is so cheap. If you don't pay then there is no money for them to keep on top of these kinds of problems.

AmandaB
04-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Karina, just wanted to say thanks for all that you're doing. This isn't really "your problem" so I appreciate the way you're staying on top of it all for us!

By the way, I set up a temporary MALs cart for The Letter Boutique so if anyone needs help setting one up feel free to send me a message (hope that's ok). :)

craftygirlsworkshop
04-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I believe I have gotten it fixed by creating that new account. Is it really necessary to change back when the "Attack" is over if the new account works? Also, I wasn't even able to log in to my old Mal's account to copy the shipping information, i had it set a specific way and it took me awhile the first time to figure it all out. UGH, but I was able to get it set, I think. Hopefully this has corrected the issue for now at least.

Anna

P.S. Thanks for being supportive everyone!

ShoppePro
04-06-2010, 09:27 PM
I believe I have gotten it fixed by creating that new account. Is it really necessary to change back when the "Attack" is over if the new account works? Also, I wasn't even able to log in to my old Mal's account to copy the shipping information, i had it set a specific way and it took me awhile the first time to figure it all out. UGH, but I was able to get it set, I think. Hopefully this has corrected the issue for now at least.

Anna

P.S. Thanks for being supportive everyone!

Well, it's not totally necessary. But if you prefer to go back to the old one because of the time you spent setting up shipping/payment etc, then you could do that. If you really don't care and the new one is good enough for you then of course you can just keep that new one. :) It's up to you.

spunkerella
04-06-2010, 10:59 PM
:D I am back with a full working cart * jumps for joy!!
I was thinking I had to really start to do something about making a new Mal's account, but no need.
Karina.. I too thank you for being awesome & helping us out with this big shamozzle!

Now for a quick question, is it likely another attack may happen? or is that like asking how long is a piece of string!
Not sure if these people attack the same companies over & over?

ShoppePro
04-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Yep, looks like ww4/www4 is back up and running. Yay! There really is no way to tell if this is going to happen again. We'll just have to cross our fingers. Thanks for all your guys' patience through this speed bump!

caroline
04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
So is it working now? I'm having a major blog review my website friday and I would hate for it not to work!

Caps Creations
04-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Looks like it! Mine has been up since yesterday evening. Thank you Karina and crew for keeping us updated through this.